Pages

8.25.2015

Jacob's birth story

I have a lot of catching up to do, but want to get a few things documented for my neglected second child!

So on my 38 week update, I noted that the baby was big and breech. We had actually scheduled a C-section at my 37 week appointment. I'll go into much more detail about that decision later, but I was totally at peace with it, but didn't share that I was going to have a C-section with too many people prior to because I really think I was hoping up to the time I went in the baby would flip and I would be able to attempt the vaginal birth after all.

Anyhow, the C-section was scheduled for 7:30 a.m., and we were to report to the hospital at 5:30 a.m. to get my IVs, etc. I woke up around 3 a.m. to use the rest room and was so nervous/anxious that I couldn't go back to sleep. Knowing we had to be on the road around 4:45, I finally just got out of bed around 3:30 a.m. to get the final things packed and do my makeup. I had gotten my hair done the day before and basically thought that if I couldn't sleep I may as well make myself look pretty since it would be the last time for awhile!

I wasn't supposed to eat, but didn't want the hubs to starve, so went ahead and made him breakfast, and we got on the road.

I decided to drive since I knew it would be a good two weeks before I could again. We were driving to the hospital talking about how weird it was that I could drive, we knew the baby would be here in a few hours, etc. Jimmy also took this opportunity to tell me that my choice for a boy name (Wade) was one he really didn't like and just couldn't do. Yes, hours away from meeting a baby that could be (and, obviously, was) a boy, and he vetoes my name choice. So we were back to the drawing board (and that's another post too!)

Anyhow, we arrived at the hospital and got checked in. We had a nice, large room at the end of the hall, thanks to my cousin who is an L&D nurse. She actually got to help deliver Cooper, but sadly was off the day JD was born. Once there I signed some paperwork, had some blood drawn and was hooked up to monitors. Then we waited ...


When they came down to get me and roll me to the OR, it was the most surreal feeling. The next time I came down that hall, I would have another baby. It was just so crazy and I practically had tears in my eyes. Once we got to the OR, hubs kissed me and waited in the hallway (they don't let them in until they start cutting) so that was super sad, and I'm sure a little scary for him.

The OR was a weird experience too. I've had a couple surgeries before but never been awake, obviously. I got my spinal while they got ready and it was a great process. So to be awake for the prep was a total wow moment - they triple checked the number of all the supplies and we made all sorts of small talk - guessing baby's sex, size, etc. At this point I was still positive it was a girl and made the joke if it were a boy his name would be Baby Boy since my name got vetoed minutes before and said it would be a little under a 9 lb. baby. I actually told the doctor that if she pulled out a baby less than 8 lbs. (part of the reason we scheduled a week early was size, and Cooper was 9 lbs. 13 oz.) that she better put the baby back in because I wouldn't know what to do with a baby that small!

We talked about BBQ places and dance studios in the town where I live, and then the sheet went up and before I knew it, husband was at my side.

I remember telling them that the area below my right rib felt SO bruised and told them they'd have to pay attention to the body part there (it was his head, as I suspected). I felt a lot of tugging but it was just such a relaxed atmosphere in the room - another day at the office. Next thing I knew, there was total relief and the doctor says "I'm not putting this one back in." Then she held up the baby and said it was a boy! And of course, my heart immediately doubled in size, while I was shocked to have another son. He was born at 7:54 a.m.

 
 
Shocked that it was a baby BOY!

One of our friends, Erica, is a respiratory therapist at the hospital where I delivered and working that day so she was in the room. She commented that he looked just like Cooper. They started cleaning up and assessing him, and I told hubby to go over there, I was fine. The anesthesiologist was by my head and held the curtain back so I could see them working. We had the big camera and someone brought it to show me a picture of my little man, and he was brought to me soon as well.


Our little man weighed 9 lbs. 8 oz. and was 21 inches long. Had he reached his due date, he would have topped 10 lbs.!


Once they were done stitching me up, we went back down the hall, with me holding my new little man and my husband by my side! Things were still crazy for about an hour, but hubby did text my mom and friends to tell them baby was born and we were great, but no details (Oh, the torture!) After things calmed down, we called my parents and told Cooper he had a baby BROTHER! He shrieked and mom said he started jumping up & down. We then made the other phone calls and texts.



It was an overall great experience and SO DIFFERENT than Cooper's birth, but absolutely amazing as well. JD and I were both safe and healthy, and at that moment, it was all that mattered.
 

 




 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments :)