Pages

12.07.2011

Cooper: 2 weeks

Real quick, thanks for all your sweet comments on my last post! While I definitely think there are moms who immediately have that close bond, that wasn't the case for me and I wanted to share!


Our little bugaboo is two weeks old today! We go to the doctor tomorrow and hopefully he'll be back at birth weight. The little guy LOVES to eat (sometimes he goes four hours, others he wants to eat hourly for two to three hours) so I'm pretty sure he'll be back up there and hopefully have added some height as well. 


Last week, he was down to 9 lbs, 3 oz. At his home appt. last Monday (five days old) he was at 9 lbs. 6.5 oz. 


12.06.11


Over the past week, Mr. Cooper has definitely had more "awake" time during the day and we LOVE seeing his big, pretty green eyes open and watching our every mood. We've done tummy time once or twice a day and he's pretty good at lifting his little head, but gets easily frustrated. 


On Saturday (Dec. 3 - 10 days old) he slept in his crib for the first full night! Let me tell you, I think that makes sleep better on his as well as Mommy & Daddy. I actually feel better him being in the crib as we have an Angel Care monitor, and this way I'm not being stirred by his every move. And since I've apparently been quite the snorer, according to my husband, I'm sure Coop appreciates not hearing that! 


Since we moved him to the crib, Coop generally sleeps 4-5 hour stretches. For instance, last night I put him down around 9:30 and he woke a little before 2 a.m. to eat, then again around 6 a.m. I was thinking that would be a pretty good schedule for him when I return to work! 


He continues to have lots of visitors! Between newborn/family photos on Sunday and visits from both sets of grandparents, we were occupied all day! Cooper said he's very excited to meet more of his family over the holidays as well! 


12.05.11


Monday night (Dec. 5 - 12 days old) his umbilical cord fell out. 


On Tuesday, we went to visit my former coworkers at the newspaper. They gave him some books and Mizzou slippers :) And fought over who got to hold him. He was a perfect little angel who slept the entire time. So, we did a little Christmas shopping downtown before coming home. 


In terms of my recovery, I have no complaints! I've been back down at my pre-pregnancy weight for about a week. By the time we came home, I was only down about 10 lbs., but I was quite swollen and once that went down, it didn't take much time. I totally attribute the quick weight loss to breastfeeding - I had about 23 lbs. total gain and figure I lost about 13-15 between a 10 lb. baby and what my doctor called a very healthy placenta and umbilical cord. 


There is still quite a bit of loose skin on my belly and I do have a bit of a pooch, but I also remind myself that I didn't exactly have a flat stomach when I got pregnant either! I haven't attempted wearing any "regular" pants with a waistband, but I think I could probably get into most of them. I'm sticking with loose shirts, not only due to the pooch but also my larger-than-usual chest. 


As of today, I can do one situp and one leg lift, adding an additional one of each daily. Typically the postpartum doctors appointment is at six weeks, but I requested to go at five weeks because I plan to have an IUD and wanted to get it before the end of the year, as I've already met my out-of-pocket max. Then, I'm hoping the doctor will allow me to begin regular exercise again. 


In terms of pain, that's been pretty much non-existent since 1 week postpartum. I think I mentioned, I had a second-degree tear and the lovely hemorrhoids (anyone who pushes out a baby without getting these is seriously my hero!) My doctor said the stitches should dissolve within 7-10 days postpartum, so I'm thinking everything "down there" is healed up.


Emotionally, I probably cried once a day from the time we got home until I was about 1 week pp. I wouldn't say I was ever depressed, just overwhelmed. By now, I've gotten the hang of the mommy thing, breastfeeding is much easier, and I've learned to let things go. All I need are my boys to be happy and healthy and life is good :)


Newborn/family photos 12.04.11






2 comments:

  1. I love the family picture! :)

    And I have a feeling Daddy will be seeing Mr. Cooper in his seat a lot from now on and I'm sure he is the one person he doesn't mind stealing his seat. :)

    I'm glad the overwhelming feeling has subsided for you and everything is starting to seem a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness clearly I have been away for far too long. Cooper is so adorable!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments :)