Pages

1.28.2011

A recipe: Coffee cake

I've been meaning to post this for some time. My workplace was open half-days on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, and we all worked a half day either of those. Those of us who worked Christmas Eve, including myself, decided to bring in breakfast to make the day a bit cheerier.

My mom shared this with me, and it's technically called a buttermilk-cinnamon coffee cake. It was super easy to make and delicious! Here is what was left when I though to get a picture:



What you'll need:
2 1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger (I didn't have any, so I omitted this)
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. canola oil
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg, beaten
1 c. buttermilk (to make, add 1 T. vinegar to 1 c. milk)

Make it
- Preheat over to 350
- In bowl, mix flour, salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ginger, both sugars and oil.
- Remove 3/4 c. of mixture and add nuts and 1 tsp. cinnamon to it. Mix well and set aside to use as topping.
- To the remaining batter, add baking soda, baking powder, egg and buttermilk. Mix. Small lumps are OK.
- Pour batter into a greased 9X13 pan.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over the surface.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes.

* Enjoy! This is very moist and leftovers are good for up to a week!

2 comments:

Thanks so much for stopping by! I love comments :)